High School Football Playoff Preview: Montgomery Bell Academy vs. McCallie
In a highly anticipated Division II Class AAA playoff clash, Montgomery Bell Academy’s Big Red face off against the formidable Blue Tornado of McCallie. Set in the backdrop of McCallie’s home turf in Chattanooga, Tennessee. MBA’s journey to the playoffs has been nothing short of a rollercoaster. They’ve shown resilience in games against Father Ryan High School and Brentwood Academy but have fallen short in key matches, including a 35-0 loss to McCallie earlier in the season.
The team relies heavily on Brooklen Davis, but the overall team stats indicate a struggle in both offensive and defensive executions. Conversely, McCallie has had a stellar season. Their only blemish came in a district game, but they’ve otherwise dominated opponents. The team’s offense, led by Ja’Von McMahan and quarterback Jay St. Hilaire, has been a force to reckon with. Their defense, while not impenetrable, has consistently held off opponents, providing a strong backbone for their aggressive offense.
TSSAA GAME BROADCAST INFO:
2023 Postseason, TSSAA Playoff Game
MBA Big Red vs McCallie Blue Tornado
Date: November 17th | Time: 7:00pm EST
Location: Spears Stadium – Chattanooga, Tennessee
TV: NFHS Network | Radio: N/A
Announcer(s): Gabriel Schray, N/A
The critical matchup will be MBA’s defense against McCallie’s offense. McCallie’s diverse offensive strategy, capable of striking both through the air and on the ground, will test MBA’s defense, which has been less than stellar this season. Brooklen Davis’s performance for MBA will also be crucial, as his ability to break through McCallie’s defense could keep MBA in the game.
Montgomery Bell Academy (MBA)
- Record: 5-6 (Overall), 3-2 (District)
- Key Player: Brooklen Davis (Rushing: 1233 yards, 8 TDs)
- Struggle Points: MBA has had a rollercoaster season, marked by significant losses and inspiring wins. The team’s offensive struggles are evident, with a total offensive yardage of 2687 and a less impressive passing game. Their defense has allowed 217 points, posing a question mark against McCallie’s high-scoring offense.
- Record: 10-1 (Overall), 4-1 (District)
- Key Player: Ja’Von McMahan (Rushing: 1392 yards, 23 TDs)
- Strengths: McCallie stands out with its robust offensive lineup, accumulating a total offense of 4314 yards. The team’s balanced attack, both in the air and on the ground, has led them to average 37.8 points per game. Defensively, they have been more effective than MBA, conceding 207 points over the season.
- MBA’s Passing Game: If MBA can enhance their passing attack, it could provide a much-needed balance to their offense.
- McCallie’s Defensive Discipline: Keeping their cool and maintaining a disciplined defensive line will be key to stopping MBA’s attempts to penetrate.
While McCallie enters as the favorite, the unpredictability of high school football playoffs leaves room for surprises. MBA, with its back against the wall, might bring unexpected strategies to overturn expectations. However, McCallie’s overall performance this season, coupled with home-field advantage, gives them an edge in this high-stakes playoff encounter.
Fans are in for a treat under the lights in Tennessee tonight. Kickoff is at 7:00 p.m. EST. Fans can tune in via the NFHS Network’s live stream to catch all the action from the field. Pregame will begin several minutes before kickoff,