The leaves have begun to fall and the weather is cooling, but the heat of the college football has reached its climax, and this Saturday promises to be a scorcher as Reinhardt University hosts Union College at Ken White Field. With both teams coming off notable victories in their previous games, the anticipation is palpable, and the crowd in Waleska, Georgia is in for a treat.
NAIA GAME BROADCAST INFO:
2023 Regular Season, NAIA Conference Game
Union Bulldogs vs Reinhardt Eagles
Date: October 28th | Time: 1:30pm EST
Location: University Stadium – Waleska, Georgia
TV: Southeast Sports Network | TV: Reinhardt SN
Radio: Unavailable | Stats: Eagles Athletics
Announcer(s): Gabriel Schray, N/A
Reinhardt University Eagles (5-2, 3-0 in Conference)
After a commanding 44-17 victory over Point, the Eagles are soaring high, currently riding a four-game winning streak. Ranked #21 in the NAIA, the team has showcased an impressive offense, averaging 33.5 points and 408 yards per game.
Keys to the Game for Reinhardt:
- Continue the Aerial Assault: Quarterback Taylor Jackson threw for 201 yards in the last outing, connecting with standout receivers Tyshun Jordan and David Friedberg. The Eagles should continue to exploit Union’s secondary, which has allowed 236.3 passing yards per game.
- Defensive Consistency: The defense has been stellar, especially in the last game where they limited Point to a mere 100 yards rushing. Led by Keon McGee and his 5 tackles and 2 pass breakups against Point, the defensive unit should focus on maintaining their aggressive play.
- Limit Turnovers: The game against Point started with a fumble, and while the defense managed to limit the damage, such mistakes could be costly against a rejuvenated Union team.
Players to Watch:
- Offensive Player: Taylor Jackson – Coming off a 201-yard passing game and a consistent performer for the Eagles.
- Defensive Player: Keon McGee – Led the team in tackles in the previous game and will be pivotal in stopping Union’s offense.
Union College Bulldogs (3-4, 2-1 in Conference)
Despite a rocky start to the season, Union College seems to have found their groove, with two back-to-back wins. Their recent 20-13 victory over Point showcased a gritty performance, especially from their defense.
Keys to the Game for Union:
- Rely on the Defense: The defense, which recorded six sacks and forced multiple turnovers against Point, will be crucial. Given Reinhardt’s potent offense, the Bulldogs will need to create pressure and force mistakes.
- Improve the Running Game: With a mere -15 rushing yards in the last outing, Union’s ground game needs improvement. Establishing a run game will be key to control the clock and keep Reinhardt’s offense off the field.
- Protect the Football: Turnovers can change the complexion of the game. Quarterback Walker Russell, who threw for 141 yards and a touchdown against Point, needs to ensure he makes safe throws under pressure.
Players to Watch:
- Offensive Player: Walker Russell – His passing will be essential for the Bulldogs to penetrate the Eagles’ defense.
- Defensive Player: Noah Steen – After a standout performance with a 52-yard interception returned for a touchdown and 12 tackles, he’s the player to keep an eye on.
Tune in at 1:30 PM via the Southeast Sports Network. The mid-season may be upon us, but the heat is just getting started on the field.